Because the OOP religion requires everything to be done with methods?

Remember CC comes from the MSFT world, not the PHP corner of it. And in the larger world, public properties of your class, such as Caption, have corresponding local vars such as m_caption. That is, Caption is not manipulated directly by its class, and can only be set or read outside of the class through the class's set and get methods.

Seems a bit cumbersome, but does allow the class to be protected against dirty data by checking anything passed to it throug InstanceofCaptio=>SEt($somestring).

Hope this is helpful. In the Visual FoxPro world the caption, if it was public, could be set with CaptionInstance.Caption = somevar.

Regards - Miles