Justin Burger wrote:
Good Morning,
I was having a discussion with a fellow PHP Developer this morning and he
mentioned that he put's an '@' sign in front of all function calls, and
every time he accesses an array;

I know that this is sloppy, and dangerous, but I don't know exactly what
this exposes him to, can any one give me any real world examples of why
this is bad, so I can relate it to his code?

php.net does not have much information about this. It seems like
suppressing errors, rather then catching them is problematic.

I'm going to partially disagree with some of the responses you get on this by saying that it doesn't have to be sloppy or a bad idea. I use the '@' symbol on _some_ of my function calls (mainly MySQL stuff), but only because I have my own error handling system in place. Some will say that if you want to control what is being printed to the screen, modify the php.ini file, but I don't fully subscribe to that. In production, I do turn off notices, but that's about it. For me, it boils down to my wanting to control the verbatim of the error; ie make the error messages a bit more end user friendly. The reason I don't like suppressing this in the ini file is it becomes a pain in the ass to try and debug a customer's problem (with the customer on the phone), if no error messages are showing on the screen for him/her.

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek