Hi !

you have to defined protected $var.

 This is a example  where php5 OO model has a little ambiguities.
Thing a few in your  problem !, on de child class scope $var it's
private then when yo execute printVar(), you aren't executed on parent
scope you are calling a copie on child scope, then you don't have
access to $var. Only when you use parent scope throw
parent::printVar() , you realy calling the parent class instance into
your child then print result.

Then when you want to have a variable for being used on a public
inherit method you have to defined protected