On 8/17/05 11:08 AM, "Alex Gemmell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Blimey!  I'm not a regular to these lists so I certainly didn't expect
> replies from two names I recognise and respect from my years of
> trawling the internet for valuable PHP and CSS information!

:)

> The books you both recommend look like exactly what I am after, with
> the slight caveat that I am actually using PHP4 at work and these
> books seem to focus on PHP5.  I appreciate the real improvements PHP5
> has over PHP4 with regards to OO but I have been a little hesitant to
> make the leap.  Perhaps now I will do so.

I really think you ought to take a look at PHP 5 -- I used it for my latest
project (I'll admit that I only did so because the project was an experiment
and I had nothing to lose, but I'm happy I did anyway) and it made a big
difference, well beyond the OOP stuff.

Incidentally, Jason's book on Design Patterns covers *both* PHP 4 and PHP 5
(when appropriate, there is code for both versions, and the differences in
implementations are explained).

> I've also been toying with a subscription to PHP Architect since it
> first came out.  It felt a bit to advanced for me back then but maybe
> now I'm ready for it.  Congrats Marco - I think you've bagged a new
> subscriber!

Thanks :)

Cheers,

Marco