["Sean R. Bright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> To continue a tangent... I don't like the idea of having the PEAR
> fetching/installation mechanism written in PHP (already some base code in
> PEAR to do this).  It seems to me that it forces the user to download/build
> PHP and then download and rebuild PHP with any extensions that don't come in
> the base distribution.  Instead it should be a binary that can be compiled
> before PHP is built, can download and configure any extensions requested and
> then build the resulting PHP binary.  We can also build in a dependency
> mechanism where for example, someone chooses to install a PEAR module (be it
> PHP or C) and the required extensions would be downloaded as well.
>
> Just my $0.02

I see your point, but personally I code 5 times faster in PHP than in
C, and I want to get this done now, not next year. :-)

When we're past the prototyping phase and stuff stabilizes, a C
rewrite may be a good idea, but I don't think it is now.

 - Stig

--
  Stig Sæther Bakken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway