On 8/19/05, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, August 19, 2005 12:56 pm, areguera wrote:
> >> could you suggest something about Latin characters and portability?.
>
> As I understand it, or not, more likely, you want to configure your
> MySQL server to use UTF-8, and your MySQL client to use UTF-8 and
> pretty much everything to use UTF-8, and then you can convert your
> data to UTF-8 and its gonna store it in a way that you'll be able to
> convert back to Latin-1 or whatever you like.
>
> At least, that's what Mark Matthews of MySQL A/B said in his talk
> about this at our more recent Chicago MySQL User Group meeting.
>
> You may want to take this question to the i18n PHP list, where people
> who have actually done it hang out. :-)

thanks Richard, I'll make a walk around i18n php list...:) ... it
seems that utf-8 is the solution for internationalization, but I ask
my self what would happen with prior versions of mysql without utf-8
support? and how to design an application to both run as utf-8 or
iso-8859-1 in the require situation. can it be?