On Fri, August 26, 2005 2:53 am, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
> Adrian Cid Almaguer wrote:
>> You can find the IP and find with it the name.
>
> Certainly, you can. But do you realise what sort of slowdown doing a
> DNS
> lookup for (I am assuming here) every request would cause? Better to
> store the IPs and run some sort of tool on the logs later to get the
> names, maybe at a time when there's hardly any load on the server

Not only when there's a lower load on the server, but also...

A) On a different machine entirely, dedicated to DNS lookups

B) Using a tool that caches DNS results, so it doesn't lookup the same
IP address 1,000 times

DNS lookups usually (by default) take 30 seconds to time-out.  You
really don't want every page on your site to take 30 seconds to find
out that some dial-up user has no domain name for their IP address
because there simply is no domain name for that IP.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm