I use ImageMagik all the time for thumbnail creations...  this doesn't
resize the image, it creates a new image, a thumbnail... but the principle
is the same....

$cWidth = 175;
$picture_src = "fullSize/somepic.jpg";
$thumb_dest = "fthumbNail/somepic.jpg";

$aImageInfo = getimagesize( $picture_src );

if( $aImageInfo[0] < $cWidth ) {
         exec("convert -geometry $cWidth -colors 256 -colorspace
yuv  $picture_src $thumb_dest" );
}