Graham:

Unless you need a specific font you could just do this by using pure CSS. If you do, the image layer would be behind the text layer. The text layer can be set to any color and (in most every modern browser) any alpha level. <div style="filter: alpha(opacity=90); opacity:0.9; background- color:transparent; color:#000;">This is some translucent text</div>

good luck!
-Joe