John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
David,

I'm under pressure to permit AND, OR & NOT. My research group insists that MySQL 4 syntax is "not good enough".

An idea of what one might enter is here (on the bottom): http://compcanlit.usherbrooke.ca/advanced.html

I was hoping to get away with replacing " AND " with "+", " NOT " with "-" and " OR " with " ".

I use this as SQL:

SELECT *,MATCH (YR,AU,ST,SD,SC,BT,BD,BC,AT,AD,AC,JR,KW,AUS,TUS,GEO,AN,SA,RB)
AGAINST ('$mydata->searchenquiry' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
AS relevancy FROM ccl_main
WHERE MATCH (YR,AU,ST,SD,SC,BT,BD,BC,AT,AD,AC,JR,KW,AUS,TUS,GEO,AN,SA,RB)
AGAINST ('$mydata->searchenquiry' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
ORDER BY relevancy DESC;-->

Please don't top-post [1]. Nice cryptic column names, by the way :)

Your research group obviously haven't researched very carefully, as "+term" is exactly equal to " AND term", "-term" to " NOT term" and simply "term" to " OR term". So there's no point in complicating the syntax.

Not only that, but MySQL's boolean mode fulltext search offers many more great possibilities like truncation ("app*" will match "apple", "application"...) and in-query relevance altering. Take a look at the BOOLEAN MODE section of the MySQL manual [2]; maybe print it and give it to your research group :)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
[2] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/fulltext-boolean.html

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer

If you find my advice useful, please consider donating to a poor
student! You can choose whatever amount you think my advice was
worth to you. http://tinyurl.com/7oa5s