I'm trying to allow php scripts to execute from the /cgi-bin/ directory, which
is currently set up as a ScriptAlias in my Apache2 configuration. I've found
lots of references to this, but there seems to be a couple of different ways to
accomplish this, and I can't tell which one is recommended or safest. There
seems to be lots of security risks associated with some of the solutions
proposed.

I'm using Debian woody. This was working under Apache 1, but somehow upgrading
to Apache 2 broke it, and I haven't been able to fix it.

I've found solutions involving changing the ScriptAlias directory to just an
Alias, with ExecuteCGI turned on in the Apache2 configuration. I've also found
adding an alias to the php4 executable in the cgi-bin directory and adding an
Action and AddHandler to the configuration, but I wasn't able to get this
working. I get the sense that changing the SafeMode section of
/etc/php4/apache2/php.ini is the recommended, safest way, but I haven't been
able to find any cookbook-style directions on what to change to allow the
execution of the php scripts from /cgi-bin/.

Can anyone help me get this set up? Searching the archives of this list
produced some information that seemed contradictory and I couldn't understand
which methods were recommended.

Thank you for your help and advice.

-Kevin Zembower

-----