You were right! That was exactly the problem
after reading your message, I 've verified the value for gc_maxlifetime
and found that it was set to 1440 secs in other words 24 minutes.

Thank you for that.

But, now I need to come up with something to avoid this behaviour.

The problem is that there's a second php application ruuning on the same
server and I don't want to change the default for gc_maxlilfetime,

So I was thinking on implementing some sort of automatic session refresh
after a short period, let's say every 20 minutes of inactivity.

And of course I should provide the users with a manual way to make
session end, sort of a logout from the application.( no problem with
that)

My question is:

         Is there a way to set sort of a timer as to invoke an hipothetical
"refresh_session.php" without reloading the current page on the client?

Thanks
 Mauricio.