Steve Turnbull wrote:
I am trying to find a regular expression to match a variable, what I think
should work (but doesn't) is;

preg_match ('^/[\w],[\w],/', $variable)

The $variable MUST contain an alpha-numeric string, followed by a comma,
followed by another alpha-numeric string, followed by another comma
followed by (but doesn't have to!!) another alpha-numeric string followed
by nothing.

I realise my regex above doesn't allow for the last 'followed by nothing',
but to me it looks like it should match the first part of the string up to
the last comma?

Something like

maybe? (untested)

http://php.net/reference.pcre.pattern.syntax

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer

If you find my advice useful, please consider donating to a poor
student! You can choose whatever amount you think my advice was
worth to you. http://tinyurl.com/7oa5s