On Thursday 08 September 2005 08:34,  the author Vizion contributed to the
dialogue on-
 [PHP] php.ini and php.config Tutorial?:

>Hi
>
>Background:
>I am installing php with apache2 and ssl, mysql-server-5.0.11 on one of my
>Freebsd 5.3. servers. I propose to  run a forum (currently investigating
>phpbb but would like to consider others) and am also looking  for suitable
>blog and wiki applications. I am more of a system administrator than a
>programmer although I do have considerable experience of some programming
>languages.
>
>Questions:
>1.
>As I am new to php I would appreciated if someone could help me locate a
>tutorial which not only describes what is in the configuration files (which
>the distributed configuration files do quite well) but also, some
>explanations that might be understood by a php neophyte, plus guidance and
>detailed examples on one might choose on option over another in different
>circumstances. For those who are not familiar with php the configuration
>files can appear daunting.

Added note of explanation -- my first build of php did not fare well -- I was
not able to run php test scripts located in virtual host directories. Somehow
I also finished up with a debug build rather than a production build - so I
am going to start again from scratch!