Hi,

I'm using PHP5 and try to do something like this:

I have a base class called 'Entry' and a child class called 'ExtendedEntry'. I want to read all Entries to a certain topic from a database.

While constructing the EntryObject I would like to look if Entry is a simple Entry or an ExtendedEntry. I want the new object to be an ExtendedEntry - if possible - and otherwise to be an Entry.

It was not possible to return the object in the __construct() function and it was not possible to reassign $this with code like
        $this = new ExtendedEntry()
also in the __construct() function. And I tried to always generate an ExtendedEntry with a flag, that says it is really Extended and a typecast afterwards, but I wasn't able to typecast to another object by (Entry) $extEntry.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem without writing a generateEntry() function, that looks into the database and then calls the correct class type?

thanks in advance,
Norbert