Thanks very much. I had an extra character when I was connecting to the
database. Now everything works!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Fullmer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 5:14 PM
To: 'Michal Krezolek'; php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP] error message while mysqling on php

I see two things that could be it.

#1 your $result is not $result = mysql_query("queryline");

Or #2  your syntax on your query line is bad.

You can try doing something like this:

$query = "SELECT * FROM table etc blah";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
$num = mysql_num_rows($result);

Sometimes the error message can be more explicit if you tell it to print it.
If you get no error on that query statement, then your query is fine.

> I have received an error: Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is
> not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/mksystem.net when trying to
> execute $num = mysql_num_rows($result);
>
> Please go to http://mksystem.net/phpinfo.php and tell me whether it is due
> to the version of php I have on server and an easy workaround would be
> appreciated.

Check the syntax of your SQL statement, it's very possible you have an error
in it somewhere. If you have PHPMyAdmin, or some other interface to MySQL
such as MySQL Query Browser, etc, try executing the SQL statement in one of
them directly, to see if they return a valid resultset.

Much warmth,

Murray
---
"Lost in thought..."