Manuel Lemos schrieb:

> NEWSFLASH: PDO already exists for PHP 4:
>
> http://www.phpclasses.org/pdo

One can't implement overloading of the Zend Engine 2 in PHP4 so this is
not "the full package". And then, the most important feature of PDO is
that it's NOT WRITTEN IN PHP like any other database abstraction layer.
It's written in C for speed.

> Despite of that, I do not think PDO is a compelling reason to use PHP 5.
> Basically it is yet another attempt to do the same where other
> abstraction layers extensions have failed like ODBC and DBX.

It will not fail because it will be the de-facto-standard for new
programmers. PHP tutorials will start containing PDO examples instead of
mysql_* examples. That's even more true because the mysql extension is
not included by default anymore.

> The matter is that PDO does not offer real database independence, so
> application developers that want to not have to deal with the important
> aspects that are different among databases will still have to deal them
> in their applications making their applications non-portable.

This is true for the 10 percent of PHP programmers doing complicated
database stuff. PDO still is good for them because PDO explicitly makes
stuff unique to a particular DBMS available through its interface (the
doc is full of "this will only work for some engines"). The other 90
percent will be fine with what PDO has to offer.

AllOLLi