On Tuesday 20 September 2005 22:14,  the author Robert Cummings contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: [PHP] Wikimedia - php4:

>On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 01:08, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>> Robert Cummings wrote:
>> >
>> > Eeeek, that's not entirely true. Sometimes you want a real reference to
>> > an object even in PHP5 :/
>>
>> $a = new foo();
>>
>> Will create a reference to the object.
>>
>> $b = $a;
>>
>> Now you have 2 references to the same object.
>>
>> For any sort of normal use, you never need to explicitly create
>> references to objects in PHP 5.
>
>I think you mean novice use. There are certainly times when assigning an
>object to a variable I want all the values currently referring to that
>object to see the update and not just the variable being assigned to. I
>understand that objects in PHP5 are passed by reference under normal
>assignment, but it's a copy of a reference and not a reference to a
>reference.
>
>Cheers,
>Rob.
>--

Thank you all so much..

Now I do not get the notices and I almost understand what you guys are
saying :-)
That makes it a good day!!
<chuckles>

david
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.