Hello,

on 09/20/2005 01:51 PM Murray @ PlanetThoughtful said the following:
I do not understand why this could bother you or anybody else. If you
have a better solution, nothing stops you to make your recommendations.

Hi Manuel,

I did make my recommendation. To you. It went something like (and I'm
paraphrasing), "Your proposed solution doesn't solve the original poster's
conceptual problem with abstracting classes that deal with collections of
objects in conjunction with classes that abstract single objects."

In other words, and I realize I'm stretching out on a limb with this
metaphor, I saw in your post an attempt to treat the symptoms without
offering a cure for the disease.

That is your impression because you really do not know how Metastorage generated code works.

It provides several types of functions that retrieve and manipulate collection. Retrieval is done by storing all collection objects in an array that is returned by those functions. There is no need for a separate class to abstract collections.

And your perception of bias may or may not be accurate. I don't recall
delivering wrath-of-god denunciation of your suggestion to use a project you
developed, just acknowledged a desire to promote a project you're probably
(and perhaps justifiably) proud of. You say that wasn't a component of your
recommendation. I'm willing to accept that, not that I expect you to be
losing any sleep over whether or not I believe you.

The problem is that I am not promoting Metastorage because I am proud of it. Actually I do not promote any of my projects because of pride or any other ego related reasons. I wish some people did not guess that wrong, but I admit that sometimes it is hard to make certain intentions clear.

I let others know about my projects because that helps maximizing the chance of getting valuable feedback from potential users like bug reports and feature suggestions. This is good for me because ultimately I also benefit from any improvements done on my projects due to user feedback.

Anyway, it would be pointless for me to let other people know about projects of mine that do not address their needs, as that would not raise their interest.

What I am trying to tell you is that while I may not be clear enough, I was trying to tell the original poster how Metastorage solves the problem he wants to solve. That does not mean he will be interested to use Metastorage, but at least it may raise his interest in studying how Metastorage solve his problem. If he will become interested in Metastorage later, I am not concerned. If he will, fine, if he doesn't, no problem either.

Thank you for the extra explanation. I still don't understand the comment's
relevancy to the actual question being asked by the original poster, but I
will explain, in case it's of interest, why that comment caused me some
confusion:

- The original poster outlined that he had created a class that represented
a customer.

- He told the list he was having difficulties with the concept of
abstracting a collection of customers

- He received some helpful suggestions from the list about how to approach
that task

- None of which would have meant he was 'trying to retrieve objects into
memory before they exist.' I don't know about anyone else, but what that
comment implied to me was that the original poster was attempting to
instantiate a class as an object before including the file that contained
the class definition.

No, that was not my point. My point is that if you want to get a collection of customers, you want a list of objects that may contain more than one. Therefore what represents better a list of objects of some class, is not an object of a class, but rather an array eventually created by a factory object.

I do not think it does not make much sense that the factory object be of the same class of the list of objects that you want to retrieve. So, first you create the factory class object and then it will retrieve the customer objects into an array. What he was doing is to make the customer class a factory for a collection of its own objects.

I am not sure if my comment is clearer now.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/