bruce wrote:
not sure i agree with this one.. if i put "foo \' cat" in a db tbl...
i expect that i'll get the same out... which is what some of the
articles i've seen have stated.. are you telling me, and are you sure,
that i'd get "foo ' cat" out instead!!????

the articles i've seen imply that if you addslashes, you also need to
stripslashes on the backend...

You're reading the wrong articles. :-)

Escaping is something you do to preserve data, period. If you have data that is going to enter a context where it can be considered anything other than data, it needs to be escaped. I often simplify this by suggesting that you always escape output.

I did a podcast about this topic a few weeks ago:

http://pro-php.com/index.php?post_id=10

I also wrote a small followup blog entry:

http://shiflett.org/archive/133

Hope that helps.

Chris

--