Denis Gerasimov wrote:

> We are working on a PHP project that implements mass mailing to a large
> number of its subscribers (expected 100,000-200,000 users; not spam mailing
> BTW). So I am wondering if it is possible to use PHP CLI binary for this
> purpose and if there are any problems with PHP in this case.

No problems that I can think of as long as you use a custom php.ini file
to avoid such things as safe_mode, max_execution_time, and various other
nasties that you might bump into if you run it on various servers.

> I was said that using Perl script is more suitable for such task since PHP
> scripts have problems with sending large amount of mail.

Bah humbug. PHP CLI works just fine, and, it is quite easy to do both
ncurses and text positioning/coloring for both Windows and Linux, and it
is a lot easier to run it either from the web or shell. It's not the PHP
script that has the problem, in reality, it's just an issue of making
sure that you're sending the mails in batches, which you can do if you
make sure that there's no maximum execution time set for the PHP script.

> Is that true or not? Any success/failure stories?

It is false. And, I am sure that someone can dig up a success story,
but, I know for a fact that I'd rather use PHP for sending large amounts
of email, especially if there's to be MIME parts and or HTML included in
it. There are already several well-coded PEAR packages that do this for
you out of the box.

Warm Regards,
Torgny