Havn't done it myself, but why not try pasting a link in IM and have it go to a
php script that does a var_dump (or print_r) of $_SERVER.  Think that's where
the referrer data is.

It may not show any referrer information since it's coming from an IM, but who
knows..   would be interesting to try out.  Thanks for bringing this up, now I
have something to play with later. hah

Second though is that even though you might not get any referrer data, there
may be some other data in the server variables that could be telling.

Unfortunately, since this is going to spawn an instance of IE or Firefox or
something to actually load the page, you'll most likely get the info from the
browser with zero info regarding the app (AIM, Yahoo, etc) that it spawned from.

Some IM's, like AIM, allow you to put in variables though, like %s I think it
is for 'screenname' in AIM so if you hand out a URL like
http://www.domain.com/script.php?aim=%s   as long as the %s part is pasted each
time, it MAY substitute that person's screen name.  If it's sent to me and I
see: http://www.domain.com/script.php?aim=tgryffyn   then copy/paste that (with
the tgryffyn instead of %s) then obviously other people using it will get
logged as me, and not them.

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head.  Let us know if you come up
with anything good and I'll write later if I get a chance to play with this.

-TG