Chris Boget wrote:
Since I was having so much difficulty getting PHP (with libxml2) installed on RH9, I decided to take the advice given by several people and use Fedora Core 4 instead, which I get installed w/o difficulty. So next is Apache/PHP and I download Apache version
2.0.54 and PHP version 5.0.5.  Following the instructions on the
PHP site (http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php)
exactly, I'm able to get both configured and installed w/o difficulty.
I first test Apache by going to localhost to see if the server is running.
It is.  Then I modify the httpd.conf file as instructed at the above
page by adding the LoadModule and AddType and then create a
'hello world' php script to make sure php is working.

The problem I'm getting is when I access the page, it's showing me
the actual php code and not the parsed result. I looked in the modules directory to see if the libphp5.so file is there and it is. I
did notice something odd, though.  In the httpd.conf file there are
a large number of LoadModule lines for modules that are not in
the modules directory.  Could that be causing my problem?

In any case, if someone could give me some pointers are to where
I should concentrate my attentions in order to resolve this problem,
I would be very appreciative!

Is there a line like this in your httpd.conf...?

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

(Don't forget to restart Apache ;)

--
John C. Nichel