Check to make sure absolutely nothing before the header() function is outputing
anything.  No echos, no prints, no var_dumps, no HTML or even blank lines.

If it's something tangible like an echo or print or something, then putting an
exit()/die() function right before the header() function then looking at the
HTML source that you get should show you what the offending output is.

But again, if I recall, it can be something as simple as an empty line.

<?php

// This should work because there's no output or white space above header()
header('Location: thanks.php');

?>

<?php

// This should fail (if I recall) because of the blank line that's sent
// before the PHP code block. This is considered output, and can't come before
// any header statements

header('Location: thanks.php');

?>