"Basically", yes. And I do mean "basically".

The languages have the same "basic" sort of syntax and you can make a perl
script look almost exactly like a PHP script and vice-versa.

However that means _only_ that it is easier to learn one after learning the
other.

The paradox is that Perl gurus write awful PHP code. PHP gurus write awful
Perl code.

If you are going to write something in a certain language, you _must_ write
it as a programmer of that language. PHP and Perl look a lot alike, but if
you try and write them the same you will never be good at either of them.

Wizard level code of either PHP or Perl really isn't even the least bit
similar. Good perl code stuffs a whole ton of activity into a very small
space. You can check if a string is empty, run regex on it to remove certain
data, then split it and stick it into a tailor-made associative array on
just a few lines.

Try and write PHP code like that and you might as well eat your keyboard.
PHP isn't "perl, just a little better". (people trying to write PHP like it
was Java perhaps worse, though. If they use a class to check a variable for
truth, they're probably a Java programmer ;)

Just remember: Square Peg, Square Hole.

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...

""Jason Caldwell"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9bq8h0$n78$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9bq8h0$n78$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If I know PHP will I *basically* know PERL?  Looking at some PERL code...
it