Richard Davey wrote:
Hi Jay,

I was wondering isn't this putting a bigger load on a server by
including so many files for each function? Also, I was wondering
what everyone's opinion was on this approach in terms of
maintenance. Do you think it's better practice to put all your
functions in one file or do it in this manner?

How many are there? I don't use functions in that way, but I do a
similar thing for class files (minus that "definedfucntions" part of
course).

You could of course combine them all together, and yes it *would* be
faster for the script to execute as there is far less drive activity
going on. But then it's a trade-off between maintaining that single
massive file, as opposed to updating smaller chunks. If it's a real
issue looking at something like Zend Encoder would help.

Cheers,

Rich

Isn't it more work for PHP, or rather the Zend engine, to keep track of a bunch of functions that aren't being used, not to mention the memory it takes to load in one huge file. I agree that putting each function in it's own file is going a bit too far in the other direction.

I tend to group functions together by purpose into seperate files. Kind of a happy medium. You don't have a bunch of includes in the code and you don't have a bunch of functions in memory that aren't being used.