Hi Jay,

> Does anyone have any insight to this type of process? Would I have
> to build a PHP extension and compile the DLL as part of PHP's
> configuration? Ideally the DLL would be a black box that could be
> accessed utilizing functions that I build without a re-compile of
> any type.

Have only done this once, but I didn't compile the DLL into PHP
because that would have meant updating the php build every time a new
DLL was released, and updating the functions / documentation
accordingly.

The DLL was built specifically with a COM interface which I accessed
using the PHP COM functions (as I'm sure you've seen already). The DLL
authors had to rejig their original code a little, but it was a far
less painful process than compiling the DLL into PHP. However for the
next revision we are likely to move the DLL code into the .NET
framework, build a SOAP interface to it (C#) and let PHP talk to it
that way. Although that's more of a political decision than a
technical one, I'm just mentioning it incase the idea is useful for
you.

Cheers,

Rich
--