I am making an imagegallery with fileuploads for the members of the site and
need a little info on how the open_basedir affects the fileupload.
I have read what I have found on it, but I'm not sure what it really does.

The phpinfo file says something like this:

PHP CORE config.
open_basedir (local value) /dir1/dir2/yoursite:/dir1/dir2/tempdir (master
value) No value
safe_mode (local value) On (master value) Off

If I understood this correctly this means that I have to upload the
imagefile to $sysfolder="/dir1/dir2/tempdir"

Or would the $sysfolder be the whole value of the (local value):
/dir1/dir2/yoursite:/dir1/dir2/tempdir

And do I then have to move the file to the wanted directory for the uploads
with a php script?

And chmod(). Is this anything to have in mind?

Final question: Wich of the values am I gonna work out from?
My guess is offcourse the (local value), or I wouldn't get the:

*Warning: *copy(): open_basedir restriction in effect.

But I would believe the (master value) WAS the master value...if you get
what I mean?
Most of the time a "mastersomething" usually overrides a
"notmastersomething".... Agree?

Additional info:

The upload is from a form and works perfectly on my own testing server where
both safe_mode and open_basedir is turned of.

Can anyone explain this to me in a nice "master to noob" way? Or is more
information needed?