  If if make a file containing only
  <?php
    phpinfo() ;
  ?>
  I get what I expected.

  If I make a file containing
<?php

phpinfo() ;

// Now a simple class and a call to the class
    class Simple()
    {
        void __construct()
        {
            echo "In the constructor" ;

    $newSimple = new Simple ;

?>

I get NO output or errors in the browser window. If I select "view source" it returns:

Eh?  Anyone with any other ideas

Tnx

Bob Hartung

Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
<snip all before.

How about <?php error_log('this should write to the file var/log/php_errors'); echo 'a test to write to error log file'; ?>

Which should write to your error log file,php_errors, in the existing directory "var/log". The browser should also render "a test to write to error log file".

Have you tried changing the log file name to something else? I don't think that php_errors is a key word, but you never know.