I remember trying this. It required GD version 2 or higher, not mentioned on their requirements page. Most of these galleries do. I'm waiting to get my sysadmin to install GD 2.x +. I have 1.6.x and only PHP Version 4.1.2 It also requires changing disable_functions in the php.ini file, which luckily I can do. But not always for everyone.
Thanks,
John