The code I just showed you is supposed to do the following, the chk_mac() returns a true or false on the vars $mac1, $mac2 and $mac3. $mac3 is the only var that should not be thrown into the fix_mac() function which is working correctly. The problem is when $mac1 and $mac2 get put into the fix_mac() function nothing is being returned.

I am not recieving any error codes, just an empty var.

Sample output:

00aa11bb22cc converted to
00-aa-11-bb-22-cc converted to
00:aa:11:bb:22:cc is valid.

As you can see $mac3 is a valid example of a h/w address where $mac1 & $mac2 were returned from the fix_mac() function as an empty string.