On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:38:09PM +0200, Clive wrote:
> what I mean is: im using a class called phpmailer and it has the option
> to sent to a smtp server, I suppose this means that they do open a
> socket to the smtp server.

All that means is that you can specify an external SMTP server (e.g.
mail.myisp.com), whereas mail() will use localhost instead. In this case
mail() would probably be quite a bit faster (though only if you're
sending thousands and thousands of emails) because it won't have to send
stuff out beyond the local machine.

Depending on what you want to do and how much control you have over the
machine your PHP scripts are running on, you might want to run a local
mail server that just relays everything to an external source (whatever
SMTP server you're currently using) - that way you can send everything
to that and your PHP script should return control a bit faster.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk