Have you tried using htmlentities()?  It should convert stuff like
double-quotes (") to it's associated HTML entity which, when echo'd to the
browser, will be displayed as " again.

Good for safe output.  Not so good for storing in a database (which you'd
probably want to use whatever your database's "escape_string" function is).

-TG