On 31 Oct 2005, at 14:54, Chris Shiflett wrote:

Hopefully it is also clear that your argument revolves around the idea that PHP would create $_POST['foo'] as NULL if the checkbox is not checked. This is wrong for two reasons:

No, no, that's not what I said - I wouldn't contemplate such silliness! The thing I was wrong on is that PHP converts unset parameters (as opposed to nonexistent ones which it obviously can't do anything about) to an empty string, e.g. given ?a=&b=1, $_REQUEST ['a'] is "", not NULL. However, it still serves to underline my other point that using isset without actually knowing that is a potentially dangerous thing. Getting into the habit of using it for looking in the likes of $_REQUEST means you're likely to use it other places where you have no such guarantee, and you'll have a bug to track down. Using array_key_exists means you will never be exposed to this possibility, no matter where your data comes from.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture