Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

An interesting development.  I found some reference to running my PHP
script from the command line to take Apache out of the picture.  Lo and
behold, the script worked.  I was able to connect to the server.  So the
issue seems to be related with Apache.  Any idea what I would need to do
there to make the script work via the web?

Did you run the script from the command line as the apache user? That would rule out any permissions issues.

Just grasping at straws.
Rick
--
Rick Emery