[snip]
I've heard that php is not particularly secure, making it problematic if
you
intend to create a web site with commerce, etc. Is there a particular
news
group that addresses security issues? I'm looking for some guidlines on
ensuring that my site is secure from malicious hackers.
[/snip]

It's not so much that PHP is not particularly secure, but rather that
some of the people who use it don't know how to make it work in a secure
manner.

Configured and coded properly a PHP application can be very, very
secure.

However, without careful configuration and good coding it's also
possible to create very, very insecure applications using PHP.  Or .NET.
Or Java.  Or Cold Fusion.  Or JSP.

It's not the technology that's insecure, but the method by which it's
implemented.

Why not check out these links:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=php+security

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/PHP-Security-Mistakes/