On Wed, November 9, 2005 6:54 pm, Joseph Szobody wrote:
*sigh* I'm a hardcore PHP programmer.. I've been using it for over
five years now, and would consider myself fairly advanced. I have a project where I'm being forced to do some ASP.NET development, which I've never
touched. I need to learn it fast.

Nobody has enough money to make me do ASP again.

ASP.NET is leaps and bounds better than ASP. I would never use ASP but do do the occasional ASP.NET job (although PHP is my primary and preferred language).

I'm not sure about learning ASP.NET fast, but you should start by:
- Picking a language to use. VB Script and C# are the biggies. IMHO VB Script is easier, C# is better. - Picking an IDE. WebMatrix is free and easy to use. Visual Studio .NET is expensive and not easy to use but potent. - Knowing what database you'll be using. Probably Access (which totally sucks) or SQL Server (which kind of sucks).

Other than that, I personally always start with a good book. If you do that, pick a book that uses the same language and IDE that you'll be using.

Also, in my opinion, having a good knowledge of how to create a dynamic Web site helps when going from PHP to ASP.NET. If you know what the program must do in terms of functionality, protocol, etc., then it's mostly a matter of picking up the right syntax. I found that ASP.NET is the opposite of PHP: doing something simple is ridiculously hard but doing something kind of complex is pretty simple. All the built in widgets and wizards help and the form validation tools are really nice.

Hope that helps,
Larry