if it's a risk then it's in my never get into the practice of doing this
category.
Passwords should always be used to verify and discarded. never saved in any
form which can be seen directly or decoded.

And true $_SESSION isn't a cookie.. however there are some systems that a
cookie is used like a session. in both cases I'd personally feel uneasy
storing a password like that.