> Jim Moseby wrote:

> >>I've seen this note. But I haven't seen a single server where
> >>short tags
> >>were disabled.
> >

> > Nor have I.  However, if I use long tags, my script will
> *always* work.  If
> > I use short tags there is a *possibility* that it won't.
> So, when writing
> > code that is required to be portable, there is no reason to
> ever use short
> > tags.
>
> so how many people actually _need_ to write portable code?

I don't know, but those who do should not use short tags.  And those who
hope to should not get into the habit of using short tags.

> ok
> so many you
> are starting a project which will become a runaway success
> but until it starts
> receiving alot of attention use of short-open-tags is
> probably not your biggest
> issue either.

It will be when you have to sort through 1,000,000 lines of code in 400
files to change '<?' to '<?PHP'.  Better to save the grief and do it right
to start with, no?

> lets assume that everyone should be writing completely
> portable apps, why does this
> ini setting exist? what is the point of offering a setting
> that can be set to a
> bad(tm) value by design?

I don't know.  A very good question for the PHP architects.  :o)

JM