On 20 Nov 2005, at 15:14, Geert Booster wrote:

  PHP 4.4.0, since PHP developers seem not interested in
  fixing the bug with apache2 and mod_rewrite

I think you might find this bug report of interest, especially since it's been fixed: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=35059 It's certainly fixed things for me.

Derick's 4.4.2RC1 release note a couple of days ago:

On 18 Nov 2005, at 11:58, Derick Rethans wrote:
I packed PHP 4.4.2RC1 today, which you can find here:
http://downloads.php.net/derick/ . Windows binaries will follow shortly.

Please test it carefully, and report any bugs in the bug system, but
only if you have a short reproducable test case.

If everything goes well, we can release it next tuesday. Especially test
issues with mod_rewrite and Apache 2 please!

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture