On 21 Nov 2005, at 17:39, matt VanDeWalle wrote:

I have what may seem like a small problem but its not obvious to me.
I have a script that I forked and that part works fine, it forks, tells me the pid like I wanted, and keeps running. Well, the problem that was not apparent to me until about 3 days ago when I was wondering why the script(my php chat server) was crashing at seeminly random times. I finally figured out that when I logged out of my shell in linux, the talker would go down as well. Obviously I don't want that but what do I need to add to the line when i start the script

Example1 on the php docs page is what you need:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pcntl.php

The important thing is the call to posix_setsid(), which detaches your forked process from your terminal process. Works great for me - I've had PHP daemons running for over 9 months without a break.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture