Hi Mike

> I'm not aware of any. I am kind of developing my own for my current
> Materials System.

Sounds as though, like me, you might just get away with a decision table
parser rather than a fully-fledged corporate rules engine. though your
application is a bit more complex than ours.

It's surprising to me that we are faced with rolling our own or working
with Java - suggests that PHP still has a bit to go as a platform for
serious business systems.

> With jBPM I "hope" I'll be able to change "routing"/approval of
> electronic documents more easily than it is currently.

Are you planning to have PHP run as a servelet within JBoss? Does this
work reliably? I much prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

As an alternative, I worked briefly on a native PHP Petri-net workflow
engine with a guy called Tony Marston before we parted ways. He has
written it up here:

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/workflow.html