[snip]
No, I understand perfectly. There is a point at which the code breaks, is
there not? There are error messages, are there not? You cannot unequivocally
state that the PHP compiler is broken until the code has been evaluated. We
are trying to help you here, but you have to show us something. We cannot
take wild-ass guesses (well, actually, we could) based on your description.
It is not the scientific method.
[/snip]

I understand your point, but I can't offer you the project as it's company
property. Again, I will try to make a reproduce/example script.
Meanwhile, try to believe my assumption that the PHP compiler is broken
because:
- At no point, it would be usefull to destroy that particular array, so,
there IS no specific code that does that.
- However, there could be, ofcourse, a bug involved in my code, accidentally
destroying the array, but I've searched my code for such a bug and I can't
find it.
- Still, to rule out any mistakes of mine, I tried the code at a
ZendPlatform enabled server and the bug seems to disappear. Not really,
though, because a value seem to leak to someplace else and even worse: while
ZendPlatform seems te work perfectly (I can debug everything, even this
specific piece of code) httpd segfaults when debugging this code with the
"evil" parameter
- Back to the error message: even the error message is corrupted, the
compiler doesn't seem to know what it's doing (what would explain de httpd
segfault with ZendPlatform: PHP does something it's not meant to do)
- Then again, maybe I told the compiler to something it isn't meant to do
(but if it isn't meant to do what I instruct it to do, it should give me an
error, so there would be a flaw in the compiler anyway, but in this case, a
minor one). Although I don't see the evil in what I'm doing. But perhaps you
could tell by my how-my-code-works-theory
- Finally, the strange behaviour is variables suddenly changing while there
is no reference or new assignment. This is most likely a symptom of a very
confused compiler.

So let's "assume" the PHP compiler is broken or my code is in theory
correct, but beyond the compilers capabillities. Wouldn't a shallow debug of
php shed more light on the issue? Memory leaks, a backtrace of the segfault
with ZendPlatform, php compiled with debug enabled and see what kind of
stuff pops up?

Some side information: At the beginning of this year, this project ran with
php4 however, it suddenly began to segfault. It also had to do with complex
object-architecture. Everybody said my code was the problem, however it ran
fine when it was modified for php5. Not very long ago, someone from the php
crew spotted a serieus problem in the way php4 handles object references
(very most likely the cause of my problem) which resulted in php 4.4.x
Some of the weird things that happen now (variables changing) seem somewhat
similliar to things happening now. It sure isn't the same problem (the php4
issue was solved by using php5 as example) Anyway I'm 99.99% sure the
compiler screws up, wether or not my code does something evil, so I think
the compiler is the best place to start looking instead of my code.

If you're not willing to make this assumption, I completly understand why,
but I can't and I won't post any code or links to code, here. Nonetheless, I
would like to thank you for the time you took, reading my posts. If you, or
anywone else would like to help me debug the compiler please let me know. If
so, we're probably doing this using something like a VNC terminal and we
will have a look at the code as well.

It's 11:45PM here so I'm off to bed, I'll be back in the morning.
Thanks again and goodnight,
Eric van Blokland