I have implemeted a system that dispatches between 600 to 2000 emails every
night. An email is sent for each recepient. My system is hosted on a shared
Linus server. I have not heard any complaints from the hosting company so
far.

Here are my recommendations:

- Have a cron job that kicks off your PHP script at intervals long enough to
guarantee the completion of an earlier execution of the script.
- Have a sleep interval between a predefined number of emails sent. You need
to figure out what works well for you depending on your dispatch frequency,
etc. (I would keep the sleep interval short.)
- No need to nice anything. The problem is the load on the smtp server. You
need to give it some time to process what you sent already before sending
more emails.
- Log all outbound activity. We log the email addresses of who receives each
message. That provides auditing and helps in recovering any failures.
- We use flags in our database to flag what messages were sent successfully.
That way, we can search and resend any failed messages.

Hope this helps.
--
Anas Mughal