Hello,

on 11/23/2005 02:58 AM Joe Wollard said the following:
I'm running a rogue (the company knows about it but doesn't support it) web
server for my dept and I'd like to be able to authenticate users
transparently. The company is currently doing this on their own supported
Intranet servers via NTLM on IIS. All I'm really looking for here is a way
to extract the user name from the 'Authentication:' HTTP header using PHP on
Apache (FC4). It seems that some of the string can be extracted using
base64_decode(). Unfortunately it is not the part of the string that I need.
It's just the domain name, the computer's NET BIOS name and the Auth-type
which of course is NTLMSSP.

I found a mod_ntlm for Apache, but even if I could compile it on FC4 (yes, I
tried) I'm not sure I need/want the full functionality of NTLM - just a way
to extract the user name of the user logged into the client machine from the
HTTP header using apache.

mod_ntlm is exactly what tou need.

It seems that there are many sites out there that do this in Java and Perl,
but none describe a way to do this in PHP......any ideas?

PHP or any other language do not do anything. The Web server authentication module performs the authentication dialog and pass it to the scripts of any language through the environment variable LOGON_USER. All you need to do is to call GetEnv("LOGON_USER");

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/