Hello,

on 11/29/2005 10:59 PM Max Schwanekamp said the following:
Richard Heyes wrote:
Petr Smith wrote:
I tried all and ended with http://www.phpguru.org/static/htmlMimeMail5.html
fast, stable, usable.
A very good choice. ;-)

But but but, what *is* the advantage of one over the other? I've been a PhpMailer devotee for some time. PEAR::Mail is too spare, PhpMailer is reasonably quick and has proven quite stable (I've built a couple newsletter apps using it). What's the advantage of Richard's package vs. the Pear one (on which he is a lead dev) vs. PhpMailer?

Mind me for another opinion. I am not the right person to compare those packages because I do not use them. I use a MIME message class for many years that provides special resources for optimizing deliveries to many recipients like for instance newsletters.

Optimizing deliveries depend on the method that you use to deliver the messages. This package provides several different delivery methods that are implemented by different sub-classes in the package: mail(), sendmail, qmail, SMTP, Windows pickup folder.

You can tell the class to optimize the queueing of the messages for many recipients just by calling the function SetBulkMail(). Then whatever is the sub-class of the delivery method that you use, it will set its mode of operation to minimize the time that your script has to wait to queue all the messages to your recipients.

Furthermore, if your message body are the same for all the newsletter recipients, the class can cache the message body so it will not waste time rebuilding the message to all users.

All these techniques provide huge speedup. I use this package for many years. Currently it is used to send about 3.5 million newsletters a month and I can tell you that it is very fast queuing around 30 messages per second in a qmail based setup, all done in pure PHP code.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos