Actually, I must put my .02 in again.  ODBC is not by nature slow.  Some
implementations of ODBC are indeed slow, especially the ones that are
additional abstraction layers on top of a native driver, but other ODBC
drivers (OpenLink's included) can bypass the native networking layer,
producing a connection that is as fast and in some cases far faster than the
native driver.

Not that the speed would be an issue with Access, though :) I agree fully
with Geir - install a full-fledged multi-user database.   If you are looking
for another 'free' one, try Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso  It
is a fully functional SQL92 db and comes with a free 2 user license - enough
to give you the same scalability as Access and you have the option of
upgrading it's license later.  It works quite well as a backend for PHP, and
also lets you link other databases transparently through it (so you can
access multiple database schemas as if they are a single local schema).

Best regards,
Andrew
Andrew Hill - OpenLink Software
Director Technology Evangelism