[snip]
As a developer, I would love to use PHP 5+ for applications but I am
afraid to do so because 90% of web hosting companies do not offer it. The
biggest reason that that they do not offer it is because there is little
demand for it. The reason why there is little demand for it is that
developers do not use it because webhosts do not support it. A classic
catch 22 situation!

I think that continuing to offer prominent download links for PHP 4
versions on the same page as download links for php 5 on the php.net and
Zend sites is a major contributor to this problem. To get PHP 5 accepted,
links to download earlier versions should be hidden away in some obsure
area.
[/snip]

OK.

Merry Christmas.