On Tuesday 27 December 2005 4:07 pm, James Lumb wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyway know whether there is a PHP function which creates a new file?
> i know there is fwrite, fopen etc but is there any way of creating a new
> file? Thanks,
> James

fopen() will create a new file if you open it for writing and it does not
exist, as per these modes:

'w'   Open for writing only; place the file pointer at the beginning of the
file and truncate the file to zero length. If the file does not exist,
attempt to create it.
  'w+'   Open for reading and writing; place the file pointer at the beginning
of the file and truncate the file to zero length. If the file does not exist,
attempt to create it.
  'a'   Open for writing only; place the file pointer at the end of the file.
If the file does not exist, attempt to create it.
  'a+'   Open for reading and writing; place the file pointer at the end of
the file. If the file does not exist, attempt to create it.
'x'   Create and open for writing only; place the file pointer at the
beginning of the file. If the file already exists, the fopen() call will fail
by returning FALSE and generating an error of level E_WARNING. If the file
does not exist, attempt to create it. This is equivalent to specifying
O_EXCL|O_CREAT flags for the underlying open(2) system call. This option is
supported in PHP 4.3.2 and later, and only works for local files.
  'x+'   Create and open for reading and writing; place the file pointer at
--
Dr. Joseph Dolan: Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?
Fletch: I don't know. I don't have any.