Check out the FAQ on php.net to see about migration issues. They have a
section in there...or is it in the manual...well it's in one of those
somewhere.

First, what security issues are you having? If code is being displayed to
the browser it's because the extension is probably not correctly figured.
When you start with PHP4 I believe the standard is it will use .php3 and
.php, but leave off .php4 and .inc. So you'll need to add those into your
server configuration files.

On the final question, great care was taken to make PHP4 compatible with
PHP3, but certain things are just blasted impossible. Preserving complete
compatibility would be little more than a big speed-bump in the road of
progress, so to speak :)

Then again, it's easy for me to not complain because I started learning on
PHP4, hehe.

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...